Job & Career Resource Center
Looking for a job? The North Bergen Free Public Library's Job & Career Resource Center will help you
be efficient and successful in your job search. Research occupations, access resources on how to create
professional resumes, learn interviewing skills and search current job listings.
The Job and Career Resource Center can be found along the back wall of the Reference area, on the mezzanine level of the library.
Library users can find books and resources on job hunting, careers, resume writing, cover letters, and interviewing as well as
the Job and Career Resource Center Binder. The Binder contains job ads from local newspapers, including The Jersey Journal,
The Bergen Record, and The Hudson Reporter, updated weekly. It also contains a list of popular search engines and instructions
on how to use them. It includes tips and examples for writing resumes and cover letters and attending interviews. Finally,
it also contains a list of library resources useful to job seekers.
For more information, visit the Adult Reference Desk or call (201) 869-4715 ex. 3
The North Bergen Public Library has access to various databases that are free for those with a valid North Bergen Library card.
- Job and Career Accelerator is an online job search system that helps users create resumes and cover letters, find jobs and internships online, and explore occupations and work-related interests. When logging into this database, use your library card number (located below the barcode on the back of your card), without the spaces, as your username.
- The Reference USA database is a tool that helps users conduct research on industries and companies of interest during the job search, and provides job application and resume help.
- The Career Cruising database allows users to explore and assess their interests and learning style, learn about careers, explore education and financial aid options, search for jobs, and build a resume.
- The Learn-A-Test database provides support and training for those preparing for upcoming tests and those wishing to improve their job skills. The database supports most tests on an elementary, middle school, high school, and college level, including the SAT, GED, GRE, GMAT, ACT, PRAXIS, TOEFL and TOEIC, MCAT, CLEP, LSAT, the US Citizenship exam, and many more. The database also provides skill building for adults, including popular software tutorials (such as Microsoft Office and Adobe), occupation practice tests, and workplace skills improvement. Certain training modules are also available in Spanish. When logging into this database, use your library card number (located below the barcode on the back of your card), without the spaces, as your username.
- Universal Class offers a way for you to take the highest quality online courses at home on your schedule, available 24/7 via the Internet! If you are interested in the lifelong pursuit of knowledge for either personal or professional reasons, this program features over 500 courses with certified instructors available to answer your questions and assess your performance. Courses offered range from topics such as Computer Training, Business, Personal Finance, GED Training, Health Services Training, to Music, Painting, Yoga and much more.
- JobStar Central gives ideas for those wishing to begin a career or change their careers. Different aspects of listed industries are discussed, including training and education, salary expectations, and work environment.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook is the U.S. Department of Labor's Career Guide for choosing or changing a career. It discusses various aspects of hundreds of careers and includes the Bureau of Labor Statistic’s employment projections. It is also available in Spanish.
- Career Builder, Monster, and Indeed are popular job-search engines that allow you to search for jobs by keyword, location, and job title.
- NJ.com makes searching for a job in New Jersey easy. It links you to jobs listed in the Star Ledger.
- The New Jersey Department of Labor has created an online Workforce Development Center so you can search for NJ jobs and career advice. It includes a job-search engine, skills assessments, financial aid advice, and employment and wage data and information.
- USA Jobs is a job-search engine specifically for government jobs that allows you to search for jobs by keyword and location.
- LinkedIn is a career networking website that allows you to set up a profile and then interact and network online with professionals from all over. It also includes a job-search engine.
Career and Resume Lab
The North Bergen Library offers one-on-one help with job searching, building resumes and cover letters, and preparing for
interviews. This course is part of the library's regular programming and is by appointment only. To make an appointment
please call the Reference desk or visit in person.
All of these titles are available to you at the North Bergen Library. You may browse at your leisure in the library or check them out with the use of a valid library card. All these titles are non-fiction and can be found in the library’s Job and Career Resource Center (against the back wall of the Reference area, on the mezzanine level of the library). This is NOT a list of every title available at the library, just a sample of some of our resources.
Books About Resumes
- Gallery of Best Resumes by David F. Noble – CAREER 650.142 NOB
- Before and After Resumes by Tracey Burns-Martin – CAREER 650.142 BUR
- Best Resumes for College Students and New Grads by Louise Kursmark – CAREER 650.14 KUR
- The Google Resume by Gayle Laakmann McDowell – CAREER 650.14 MCD
- The Quick Resume & Cover Letter Book by Michael Farr – CAREER 650.142 FAR
- Federal Resume Guidebook by Kathryn Troutman – CAREER 650.142 TRO
- Resumes for Dummies by Joyce Lain Kennedy – CAREER 650.14 KEN
- Unbeatable Resumes by Tony Beshara – CAREER 650.14 BES
- Resumes that Pop by Pat Criscito – CAREER 808.066 CRI
- Step-by-Step Resumes by Evelyn Salvador – CAREER 650.14 SAL
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Perfect Resume by Susan Ireland – CAREER 650.142 IRE
- Resume Magic by Susan Britton Whitcomb – CAREER 650.14 WHI
- How to Say it on Your Resume by Brad Karsh – CAREER 650.14 KAR
- How to Write Better Resumes and Cover Letters – CAREER 650.14 CRI
- Fearless Resumes by Marky Stein – CAREER 650.142 STE
- Encyclopedia of Job-Winning Resumes by Myra Fournier – CAREER 650.142 FOU
Books About Cover Letters
- Gallery of Best Cover Letters by David F. Noble – CAREER 650.142 NOB
- Knock ‘em Dead Cover Letters by Martin Yate – CAREER 650.142 YATE
- 15-Minute Cover Letter by Michael J. Farr – CAREER 650.14 FAR
- Cover Letter Magic by Wendy Enelow – CAREER 650.14 ENE
- Cover Letters for Dummies by Joyce Lain Kennedy – CAREER 650.14 KEN
- No-nonsense Cover Letters by Wendy Enelow – CAREER 650.142 ENE
- The Everything Cover Letter Book by Burton Jay Nadler – CAREER 650.142 NAD
- Winning Cover Letters by Robin Ryan – CAREER 650.14 RYA
- Cover Letters by Taunee Besson – CAREER 650.14 BES
- Cover Letters! Cover Letters! Cover Letters! by Richard Fein – CAREER 650.14 FEI
Books About Interviewing
- Crazy Good Interviewing by John Molidor – CAREER 650.14 MOL
- Are you Smart Enough to Work at Google? by Willaim Poundstone – CAREER 650.14 POU
- Job Interviews for Dummies by Joyce Lain Kennedy – CAREER 650.14 KEN
- Brilliant Interview by Ros Jay – CAREER 650.14 JAY
- The Essential Phone Interview Handbook by Paul Bailo – CAREER 650.144 BAI
- 301 Best Questions to Ask on Your Interview by John Kador – CAREER 650.14 KAD
- How to Interview Like a Pro by Mary Greenwood – CAREER 650.14 GRE
- Top Notch Interviews by Brian Davis – CAREER 650.14 DAV
- 101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions by Ronald Fry – CAREER 650.14 FRY
- Can I Wear My Nose Ring to the Interview? by Ellen Gordon Reeves – CAREER 650.14 REE
- Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Perfect Interview by Marc Dorio – CAREER 650.14 DOR
- Get the Interview Every Time by Brenda Greene – CAREER 650.14 GRE
Books About Job Hunting
- Knock’em Dead: the Ultimate Job Search Guide by Martin John Yate – CAREER 650.1 YAT
- What Color is Your Parachute? by Richard Nelson Bolles – CAREER 331.7 BOL
- The 2-Hour Job Search by Steve Dalton – CAREER 650.14 DAL
- Cracking the New Job Market by William Holland - CAREER 650.14 HOL
- I Got My Dream Job and So Can You by Pete Leibman – CAREER 650.14 LEI
- The Panic Free Job Search by Paul Hill – CAREER 650.14 HIL
- Job Hunting After 50 by Carol Silvis – CAREER 650.14 SIL
- I Found a Job by Marcia Heroux Pounds – CAREER 650.14 POU
- The Web 2.0 Job Finder by Brenda Greene – CAREER 650.14 GRE
- Job Nation by Peter Weddle – CAREER 025.06 WED
- Job Searching with Social Media for Dummies by Joshua Waldman – CAREER 650.14 WAL
- Finding a Job Through Social Networking by Diane Crompton – CAREER 650.14 CRO
- How to Get a Great Job by the American Library Association – CAREER 650.14 AME
- Job Search Handbook for People with Disabilities by Daniel J. Ryan – CAREER 650.14 RYA
Career Books in Spanish
- De Que Color es tu Paracaidas? by Richard Nelson Bolles – SPANISH 331.12 BOL
- La Busqueda Rapida de Trabajo by Micahel J. Farr – SPANISH 650.14 FAR
- Busque Empleo con Exito by Christoph Kuhnhanss – SPANISH 650.14 KUH
- Por Favor Sea Feliz con su Trabajo by Nicholas Parsons – SPANISH 158.72 PAR
- Consiga un Trabajo Hoy by Luis Cortes – SPANISH 650.14 COR